Wednesday, May 5, 2010

All before 10am...

Today got off to a running start for sure! I’ll admit, the last few days I’ve been sleeping in, trying to catch up on some sleep lost this weekend, but today was eventful from the get go. I was out my door by 6am and within my first four hours I watched the sunrise, met two English teachers that had been students of Emily, a Moz 12 volunteer in Xai Xai, I was on 7 different chapas, was recognized in three different towns, was mistaken for two different volunteers, learned all about the African Leadership Academy and helped a young boy with his application, bought a phone and got a free MCEL t-shirt (it’s exciting, believe me), and listened to Eminem, 50cent, DMX and techno. I was home by noon and took advantage of the extremely hot afternoon and napped on my couch while watching episodes of 30 Rock. I never did get my phone working, due to faulty MCEL service, but I have faith. This evening I made a delicious dinner with lentils and rice, and while eating I watched a spider jump across my floor. We definitely have jumping spiders all over here, but they’re typically pretty small and only jump when they’re trying to get away from being crushed by my flip flop. The one tonight was different- he was pretty big and was jumping around my living room like a frog. I’ll admit, I was too scared to get close enough to examine him or get a description, but I know he was creepy and I don’t look forward to finding more of them. On a positive note, I’ve been bat free for a few days now. I’m sure they’re not gone, but at least they haven’t been squeaking and creepily watching me at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment