Saturday, December 12, 2009

Making it work

The people are so incredibly friendly! I went to the market today because all I had in the house to eat was more rice (which I ate for lunch and dinner yesterday), and it was definitely an awkward experience with everyone staring at me with dropped jaws, but the few that said hello back were very sweet and welcoming, and most already knew my name. In less than 24 hours the fofoka train (gossip) has spread through the town. I think what makes things a bit more awkward is that not everyone speaks Portuguese here. Most people (all the kids and almost everyone over the age of 30) only speak Changana, the local language. It’s tough at the moment, because when I have a heard of children sitting at my door I can’t talk to them or get them to go away because I don’t know the language (again! I was getting so good at the Portuguese thing and then this is thrown at me). At least when I leave here in two years I’ll be able to say I’ve learned at least two languages.
Ok so this morning was my first morning of living alone- sad for a bit, not sure what to do, but it turned out pretty good. My fellow English teacher Silvino came by to make sure I was ok and to ask how my first night went. I walked through the market- the only foods we seem to get here are onions, tomatoes, potatoes, mangos… that’s actually about it. I found two cucumbers and bought them both, found a few eggs, and there were definitely a few live chickens but I’m not ready to take that on solo yet. I have a feeling I’m going to be eating many of salads in the coming months. I met up with the teachers again today and learned a bit about how they do the end of the year grading and whatnot. And they all keep commenting on how well I speak for only being here ten weeks, and that’s such an amazing compliment and so encouraging to hear. I think I fake my Portuguese knowledge well ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment