Monday, July 19, 2010

Eye-opener

On my way back from Maputo I got a ride from a nice American family of four that was driving up to the beach. Not only was it a safe, quick, stress free ride, I also got to talk to a different kind of person than I’m used to- someone who is just visiting this country and still not used to all the crazy and peculiar stuff that goes on here. I had a fabulous time talking and answering all sorts of questions they had about Mozambique and my experience here. I’m sure the two boys who were trying to read/sleep got pretty annoyed with me but maybe they soaked up a thing or two. This family had such fresh eyes. They pointed out things I’ve come to take as normal or just blah, like the huge street market on the way out of Maputo, or the men making bricks in the little huts next to the road, or the way I bought tangerines and cashews and phone credit on the side of the road. It was a very refreshing experience. And it makes me so excited to be able to show my own visitors around my host country. As I was getting out and saying goodbye, the mother offered me some granola bars- I don’t think she’d ever seem anyone SO excited about granola bars! I accepted graciously and ate one on the next part of the trip home. It tasted like a candy bar. Note to readers- care package? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment