Monday, November 23, 2009

Wow time flies!!

I’ve noticed my blog entry frequency is directly related to my access to my power outlet in my house. Yes, that is a singular outlet. It’s usually not a problem to use it but we’ve had my host grandmother living in our living room (again) for the past week and I feel a bit awkward trying to get around her to plug something in. She’s blind- it adds a bit of a challenge to the situation. Anyway, my computer is now charged and I have a few updates to make. First week of model school over and done with!! And I’m actually done teaching- all I have left to do is help lead a review lesson and proctor a test. I gave my last lesson today on HIV risks and preventions- the most awkward lesson I’ve ever has to present for sure, trying to explain breast milk and masturbation to eighth graders who don’t speak English. Needless to say, it was a fun 45 minutes and I’m definitely more comfortable talking about touchy subjects with my students.
So this last week was a bit rough in the weather department. It rained all day everyday for an entire week. It was insane because the rain wasn’t only constant but so heavy. The town I’m in is practically all soft dirt so with the rain, the mud was inches thick everywhere, so not only were all my clothes soaking wet for a week but also covered in mud. I don’t think I’ve ever wanted a dryer in my life. Thankfully the sun came out yesterday and I got to wash and dry a few key items for this week.
I named my spider (with seven legs) Stan. And he has two new spider friends that frequent my room (Cynthia and Sylvester). You know cabin fever (or something of that nature) has kicked in when you start naming the bugs and creatures that live in your room with you…
I saw two baby goats being born today! Amazing! On my way back from language class I stopped for a bit and watched them try to walk. They didn’t have too much success if that mama wasn’t helping them along. So adorable.
Today was Mae’s (my host sister) 16th birthday so we made American pizza, which actually turned out pretty great. My whole family was so excited to try it. Even if they didn’t love it they were still so into the fact that it was American food, not Mozambican, and therefore it just tasted better on principle. I’m thankful because as a cook I need a lot of practice. You know you’re cooking in Mozambique when you cut open a pepper and worms fall out but it doesn’t phase you. Or cockroaches crawl in and out of your oven while you’re baking pizza. These things have become routine for me. Speaking of cooking, I learned how to make cheese! And it’s delicious. Next is the home brewing lesson.
So almost two months here in country and it seems as though most things have become routine and I’m not noticing the craziness of daily life anymore. Lack of running water (or clean water for that matter), tractors driving down the main road, trying to hitch a ride on said tractors, people stopping on the side of the road to pop-a-squat (aka urinate in the middle of the street because they have decided waiting is too inconvenient). I did however take note of the peacocks trying to cross the road in Maputo, or trying to turn down a street to find a restaurant but instead saying “I don’t think it’s this one because there are men with guns.” Also my normal wake time is now 5am, which is absurd in relation to American time, but here 5am is normal and refreshing. Plus I get to see a beautiful sunrise every morning. I’m also spoiled in regards to the sunset, which sets behind my house, overlooking the rolling hills of Swaziland.

1 comment:

  1. Just read your most recent posts. Sounds amazing I'm sure there's so much more you haven't even had time to write. I hope you're recording it all somewhere. You make me want to pick up and travel. I've been meaning to write you a letter forever, hopefully I will get around to it sometime(after finals perhaps).
    ciao

    ReplyDelete