Monday, January 11, 2010

Beautiful Sunrise

I started my morning running again. Last night Nando took me on a little tour of our neighborhood and showed me the road that leads out of town, where it’d be best to go running. This morning was beautiful, watching the sun come up. I had first thought I’d be somewhat alone at 5am, but there were SO many people (and livestock) walking out to the machamba (large garden- working field). It was a little uncomfortable at first, having everyone stare, but I got over it after a few minutes. I’ve heard stories of volunteers that run through their towns and are followed by children- I instead was followed by cows. When I’d pass a small heard of cows, they’d see me and start running along with me. The first time I was a little scared because I thought maybe they were chasing me, sharp horns and all, but after the third group I got used to it. We’d jog together for a hundred yards or so and then they’d get bored and stop and I’d continue on to pick up another heard. I’m thinking I may have attracted a bit less attention if I’d been running without the cows but what could I do? Tomorrow Nando and Professora Telma have both asked to join me, and I’m interested to see what happens. Most Mozambicans don’t understand the idea of running- it’s lost on them. And when they do go for a job, it’s usually 10 minutes and then they get bored. Then again Nando says he used to go running with Matt and Paulo (two volunteers that were here before me) so we’ll see.
The tour last night was beautiful, as the sun was going down. My town is very flat and there are no mountains or hills for as far and I can see, so it’s definitely a different view than I had during training. Once you get out of my town, about a ten minute walk from my house, there are no other towns for about 4km, nor are there trees or tall bushes, so it’s quite a flat view. Anyway, it was beautiful both last night and this morning, and I’m interested to see the sunrise again tomorrow at 4:45am with my fellow joggers.
On our walk last night, we came across the cemetery for our bairro (neighborhood). It was the first time I’d walking through a cemetery here in Mozambique. All the graves were above ground which is a change from cemeteries in the states, and this change made me notice the size of the graves. Many of them were very small. I guess I can’t say I’m surprised because we (volunteers) have been told children die frequently around here, but it was still hard to see. But it was a beautiful place, with flowers growing on and around the graves.
This morning started with an amazing sunrise and ending with the stars. I’ve gone outside at night only one or twice since I’ve been at site because I’m not a huge fan of the dark or the mosquitoes, but I just went out to brush my teeth and I’m pretty sure I brushed for at least ten minutes. The sky is just full of stars here- it’s amazing. In those ten minutes alone I saw two shooting stars. I’m feeling the backlash from the mosquito bites now but it was worth it. The sky is beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment