Saturday, January 9, 2010

One Month!!

Not too many things have changed in the last month, but I can only guess with the quickly approaching start to school that my life is about to take a turn. Today is Saturday and we start Monday so I’m looking forward to that.
I bought a fridge! Not sure if I mentioned that in my previous blog, but it’s been quite a help this last week. I finally have cool water, and somewhere to put leftovers. I’ve been cooking a lot lately which has been fun. Today I made roasted peanuts and then coconut rice. It was the first time I opened and ralared (‘ralar’ means to grate- they have a little stool thing here that has a round grate on the front, used for coconuts) on my own! I made coconut milk from the grated coconut, which is delicious, and then sweet rice with cinnamon. It’s been an interesting experience having to start everything from scratch here, even cheese. For example, I bought peanuts the other day, had to soak them, dry them, and roast them before I could eat them. I had to buy a coconut, break it, grate it, make it into milk, and then cook it. Or for sprouts I take beans, soak them in water, and wait five days for sprouts to grow. Cheese is one of my favorites to make because it’s so delicious when I can finally eat it. And I miss cheese. I first thought I could probably lose weight here because of how much work and time goes in to cooking EVERYTHING, but I’m realizing it may take more time, but I’m cooking large quantities and eating everything (because of no fridge) so no worries mom, I’ll be nice and plump when I come home.

No comments:

Post a Comment