Saturday, September 4, 2010

Funeral part 2

The funeral process ended up lasting 4 days, that I’m aware of. The first three days were all the same- women under the tree, singing, chanting, screaming, crying, processionals to the grave with flowers, more weeping. The fourth day was silent but many people were around. I happened to be teaching a lot that day so I might have missed something but from what I could tell it was pretty calm. I’m still very curious what kind of religious or cultural impart suicide has on a family. I’m curious if there are implications for the surviving members of the family, or if the grieving process is the same. There are many funerals around here, and although I haven’t seen too many first hand, like this one, I’m pretty sure there’s not usually a lot of wailing and carrying on. I will do some research and post about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment