Monday, October 22, 2012

Swaziland

I’m not sure if I’ve written a blog about my future plans yet, so here goes… I’m officially finished with Peace Corps in December 2012 ( Fun fact- I entered PC 9/09 and I’m leaving 12/12. It’s the little things in life :) ) However, unlike most people who miss America, family, and friends as much as I do, Scooter and I have decided to stay out here for a bit longer. Scooter has family friends that run a Catholic mission in Swaziland, and a few months ago we decided to go volunteer there from January through April 2013. Yes, volunteer (someday I will actually make money, but apparently I’m in no huge hurry). We’ll be working with the youth center they have, working towards strengthening their monitoring and evaluation system, organizational development of the program, and trying to work towards sustainability (like all work we’ve been doing over here). We’ll also be spending a lot of time with the kids. I’m really looking forward to it! It will be a dramatic change from what I’m doing here, yet continuing on the lines of working with youth development.


It’s been funny (and slightly uncomfortable) when people ask Scooter and I, “So are you excited to finally go home?” or, “Are you two going to be ok when PC is over and you have to move away from each other?” Well, turns out we don’t have to leave each other! People look at us a bit strange (3 years wasn’t enough?) but most aren’t surprised.

In the meantime, I’ll be headed to India!! Rather than going all the way back to Alaska for Christmas and New Years, I’ve decided to visit India for a few weeks. I’ve always wanted to visit, and since I have a friend living there now and a month to kill, it was the perfect opportunity :) It’s going to be a good next few months!!

No comments:

Post a Comment