Monday, March 21, 2011

March 15th

Time
I’m teaching how to tell time on a circular clock to my 8th and 9th graders. I assumed they’d be able to tell time by the age of 14 (or 20) but I was wrong... However, although it’s frustrating, the thing I find the most amusing is how long it takes them to draw a clock. They are such perfectionists! For my lesson they needed to draw 5 circles on their paper, and fill in the clocks with the correct time. They ALL whipped out their protractors or coins so their circles were just perfect, and then a ruler to make sure the spacing was correct between each number... I just wanted them to make circles! It was hilarious when I had them come to the board to correct their homework today- four students trying to draw circles without the help of a protractor. They kept erasing and starting over, redo this part, fix that part, redraw these numbers... just to correct homework!! At least I got a laugh out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment