Monday, March 21, 2011

March 16th

Sweet words

I just received such an encouraging email.
I’ve always thought that I wouldn’t be able to know the impact I’m having during my service and I’ve never expected to really see much agradecimento, thanks. Here’s the email I just received from a host brother of another volunteer from my group. Note- it was written in Portuguese and I’m translating...
‘Hello teacher Anna! A long time has past since I’ve wanted to write you but I didn’t have your email. With all the years that pass, I will still write to know that you have rich health. Are you still teaching English? How is your work going? Before I forget, how are the other teachers Tim, Tim, Erica and Diana- are they still teaching? At this moment I’m taking advantage of (making the most of) all that you taught me, especially when we played Bingo! I liked it so much. However, I don’t have enough to give you to show my thanks, but I have you in my heart, no matter where I go you will be with me. I will never forget you and your lessons. I wish you every success in your work, and say hello to the others for me. Thank you for everything. From your student, Adriano from Namaacha.’
I will note, I believe he liked my lesson on family vocabulary (and BINGO) because he won and had his picture taken. This email comes as a complete surprise- I haven’t been back to Namaacha since training and I haven’t had any contact with Adriano or any of my other students. Even though I only taught him English during a two week period, apparently I made an impression and he actually learned during my classes (more than I can say for some of my current students). This email totally makes my week/ month. It’s not easy going day to day knowing your students don’t care about your class or care to study, but to hear from a student I had briefly, 16 months ago, makes me smile. It gives me hope. And I honestly need it right now.

1 comment:

  1. I love this. Doesn't surprise me one bit to hear about the impact you are making <3

    ReplyDelete