Sunday, May 8, 2011

From Alaska to Africa part II

The Parents

I've had such a fantastic time having my parents visit!!! They picked me up from the airport and immediately took me to a FABUOUS B&B where I drank wine, took a bath, and slept in a giant bed in a room all to myself (note: yes, small events, but when combined after a year and a half living in the bush, they are amazing). Then we went to Mozambique and to my site where my Alaskan family got to meet my Mozambique family. I have to say, they handled themselves quite well in all regards of living in the bush- no electricity, sleeping in 90+ degree weather, peeing in a hole- great job guys. Then it was up to the beach for Beach Beer Olympics. Yes, my parents were not only invited, they stayed with us at the hostel. They were champs, meeting all my friends and holding their own when need be.
After Moz we went to Kruger Park. We hadn't been in the park more than 30 mins when we drove up and saw zebra and wildebeest on one side of the road, a giraffe, an elephant, and two rhinos on the other side, and all the while impala running around grunting mating calls at each other. Then we watched a crocodile eat a snake in the water while a hippo calmly watched from a few feet away. And, get this- Big Five within 24hours. Elephant, Rhino, Buffalo, Lion and Leopard.
Now they bring me back to the B&B for a few more hours of wine, internet, and delicious food. Tomorrow, off to Tanzania!!!

Happy Mothers Day. I'm so thankful to have my mama with me even though I'm living on the other side of the world. I have amazing parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment