Sunday, May 8, 2011

New perspectives

It's fun having new eyes after being here so long. Showing my parents where I live was not only fun for them but fun for me to relive the peculiarity of my current situation.

-There's no possible way to sleep-in in Hokwe. By 6am, without fail, there are goats, chickens, children, pigs running around making noise. I've become accustomed to this. My parents- not so much.
-The goat tied up outside my bathroom for three days threw them off a bit. We couldn't hang out clothes to dry on the hedges for fear the goat would eat them.
-A baby goat gave my mom a little mid-morning entertainment as it ran inside my house, narrowly escaping capture by three dogs. It came in, wandered around, then waltzed out again.
-Giant snail crawling around outside my house- also apparently not normal. It's only the size of my hand, why so surprised?!
-Daily afternoon on my front porch = 12 children anxiously waiting for the coloring books and frisbees while chickens, goats, dogs and pigs wander around my yard looking for food and/or shade.
-main roads littered with potholes so big I could lay down in them, with ease.
-3 day power-outages.
-Cockroaches the size of small birds.
-Bats flying around in the classroom during English Club, that drew no attention from anyone other than my parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment