Saturday, July 14, 2012

A perfect start

My first plane ride in Mozambique! That’s what I get for living 3 years on the south. I landed and immediately jumped into the Moz 17ers PDM conference (Project Design and Management). I was able to talk to all the PCVs and their counterparts about project ideas, how to apply for grants, and catch up on what they’ve been doing since I’d seen them last (which for most was November 2011 when we were all living in Namaacha). After taking care of business at the conference, we all went out to the National Cultural Festival, which happened to be taking place that weekend. We saw art and crafts from each province, dancing and musical presentations, and, my favorite, tried food from each province. We literally ate our way through the country  My favs were this yogurt-like fruity dessert from Manica, and the Indian style curry from Nampula. Delicious timing on my trip!


I was only in Nampula two nights, then off on site visits. First was Carapira. It’s a tiny little town located on the main highway (like are most towns), but if you weren’t looking for it you would pass by without thinking twice. When I stopped at the one and only road, I was struck by the site of a church. From almost a mile away, you can see this enormous, beautiful church. The one road leads right to it, pulling focus towards it.

I was only in Carapira for one night, but I talked to three PCVs about their projects, bounced around some ideas, and got hugs from one of my favorite people.

No comments:

Post a Comment