Saturday, July 21, 2012

"Who Run The World? GIRLS!"

"Boy you know you love it

How we're smart enough to make these millions
Strong enough to bare the children
Then get back to business"

I have had the privilege of attending not only two but three REDES conferences in my time here. The first year everything was new and exciting- I hardly spoke Portuguese but I spent my whole time sitting and talking with the girls, watching them learn and share. Year two I was running the show, busy meeting invited guests, making sure sessions were running on time, but I was still able to see the smiles as the girls made new friends or saw the beach for the first time, learned public speaking skills, and recounted their favorite moments during the conference. This year was yet again different- I was an outsider with no girls of my own at the conference, but I sat in the back, watched the girls learning, answered questions when necessary (and clarifying any misinformed statements), and talked candidly about their REDES experience and how the program is truly changing their lives.

I will admit, the whole conference wasn’t easy (are they ever?!). Being in the position I was, I spoke to all of the counterparts about how the conference was running, things we could do betting in the future, and improvements they’ve seen and have appreciated. In the process I heard all about how the food wasn’t good enough, they’re not making enough money, or they didn’t travel far enough (they want a national conference so they can travel far from home.) All of it I understand, and like my entire experience here in Moz, I was reminding myself why I’m here. I’m not here to help extend peoples’ wallets or help them travel. I’m here to make at least a small difference in someone’s life. In the case of REDES, my goal is to change the girls, to open their minds to new things and new ways of thinking, and to try to give them the chance to succeed in this world.

Highlights from the conference would have to be the location- tucked about in the mountains = beautiful!, talking to the counterparts and hearing their enthusiasm about REDES, and listening to the testimony of four women living with HIV, guest speakers at the conference. One woman in particular talked about her struggle with an abusive husband and how she left him with her twin sons because she knew she was worth more. It was extremely inspiring to hear a young Mozambican woman speak like that. I really hope her words reached some of the girls.

(Pictures coming soon!)

No comments:

Post a Comment