Friday, September 21, 2012

Happy birthday to me!

Today we drove down to see the penguins! Mom was so excited, and I guess I get it because the little guys are pretty cute.  Smaller than I would've originally thought, but adorable.  The drive along the coast was spectacular, although we didn't see any whales.  First we saw penguins, then had lunch (beer and fried calamari was EXACTLY was a needed on my birthday), then we were kind of at a loss of what to do.  Well, we knew we had an afternoon to kill so to the wineries we went!!! First we went to Annadale (partly because “anna” and partly because it was the closest), which is the oldest winery in the area (in all of the Cape I believe).  It was a tiny place, extremely beautiful, and very rustic feeling.  Apparently it's a place that people drive into, think they've taken a wrong turn, and turn around and leave.  We got lucky.  The wine we had here was the best wine we've had in the country.  We got through the tasting, got a tour of the winery, tasted a bit extra of their port (I'm not usually a port fan but this was SO good!), and then another tour group showed up.  Rather than moving on we stuck around and had another tasting! Again, best wine in Cape Town.  So, wineries turned into one winery, but we had a spectacular time there, for sure.  In the evening, after realizing probably too much wine was being consumed and bought, we headed out to my friend Michelle's house.  She's a wonderful woman whom I was lucky enough to meet on an airplane last time I was in Cape Town.  I promised if I was ever back in Cape Town I would come visit.  She was very gracious in letting us stay with her, her children, and her nephews for the evening (especially after our wine consumption). 

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you had a wonderful birthday! I am so happy! I can't wait for you to be home :)

    ReplyDelete