Tuesday, September 25, 2012

I still don't understand Mozambicans...

A man showed up at our front gate this morning. Neither Scooter nor I recognized him, so I went outside to talk to him at the gate and figure out why he was here. Our conversation went,


Anna: Good morning, can I help you?
Stranger: Good morning. Let me in.
Anna: I'm sorry, who are you? Can I help you with something?
Stranger: I was passing, knocked on your gate, and you should let me in. It is my right.
Anna: If you don't need to check our water or check the electricity, you don't need to come in.

This conversation goes on a few more minutes, the stranger making religious references about us being brothers and God opening up this house for him as well as me. So I go back in the house, back to Scoot who's watching. The man stays at the gate. Also, during this entire time Amenduim (our beloved dog) is going insane barking at him. Scoot and I sit down and the man starts yelling;

Stranger: Why do you have this dog to scare people? When someone comes to the gate you must let them in! It is our right as humans!! (some more yelling...) Who do you rent this house from?
Scooter mentions where our landlord lives, the stranger asks for his name, we don't give it. At this time the stranger says, “I am Joao. I am your landlord.” Well shit, if maybe you'd mentioned that right off the bat when you showed up at our house rather than spouting all sorts of other excuses to get yourself in and banging on the gate we would've been more inclined to let you in. Scoot goes out and opens the gate (which is actually unlocked anyways, the stranger just didn't know how to open it, thankfully) and they start talking.

Joao (stranger): I am your father. We must know each other. We are family.
Scooter: You have to identify yourself because we don't let people we don't know into our house.
Joao: But it's the afternoon! Nothing wrong is going to happen! You must let anyone who comes by into your home.
Scoot.: We are two young, female, foreigners living alone. We cannot let anyone that wants to come by into our house. That's not going to happen. You have to identify yourself.
Joao: (pensive for a moment...) Ok you have a point.

They stood outside at the gate and talked for about another five minutes. He didn't know our names, but gave us his wife's phone number if there are any problems (who does he think we've been paying rent to for the last 11 months?!), told us we should come visit him sometime because he is our father, and made sure we understood that he wanted to know who we were because we were living in his house and he wanted to help with anything he could.
The whole situation was weird and strangely very frustrating. Once he identified himself as our landlord we got it. I don't think Scoot nor I have any doubt he his who he says he his, yet his roundabout way of talking to us was so infuriating. We've been living in this house for 11 months and he just now decides to stop by? We're moving out in 2 months. He doesn't know our names? Ok yes, as our landlord he can come over whenever and check on things, but he thinks he has the right to not explain who his is? Again, the whole situation was frustrating yet very familiar. Very Mozambican. Sometimes I just don't understand people...

No comments:

Post a Comment