Monday, September 10, 2012

Victoria Falls

We left early in the morning for a Victoria Falls walk around the island. I had no idea what I was in for. About 12 of us (my family plus a bunch of college girls and a guide) walked through the streams and over the rocks that fed the falls. It was tricky at times, trying not to slip on the rocks or be swept away by the current when the water was above our knees, but about 45 minutes after walking we ended up on the island (which is actuality is not an island at all, by common definition, but whatever.) Then came the surprise. We stripped to our suits and swam across the current to Devil’s Pool. I’ve seen pictures of this pool but never thought I’d be there. From a rock, we jumped into the pool, literally less than 10 feet from the edge of the falls. Then we swam to the edge of the pool and sat, less than 5 feet from the edge. Finally, we kinda hung over the edge- crawled on our bellies to where we could see over. It was terrifying and so much fun. And I will admit, I was extremely impressed with both parents. They had more balls than the college girls in our group.


After getting out of the pool, dad and I followed the guide back around the rocks and streams. After tracking down mom, we walked down to see the falls from the other side. They are just so amazingly massive and powerful. The guide was telling us each year crocodiles, hippos, and even elephants get washed over the 108 meter high edge. To think that's where I hung over the edge...

No comments:

Post a Comment