Tuesday, June 14, 2011

good moments

I had a great convo with my loga guy, Rafael. He and his brother Samito run a store next to my school so I’m in there a lot to buy stuff, talk, whatever. They’ve been good friends of mine since I got here. Anyways, I talk to them a lot, but today Rafael and I got into some pretty fun topics. We talked about the US going to war, Mozambican violence or lack thereof, gun control, transactional sex, HIV and other diseases, and the importance of educating girls. So many topics covered! It was so great to hear his opinions on things. He’s not an extremely educated guy (graduated high school but born and raised in the bush) but he’s got such amazing thoughts and priorities. His thought process is so much different from most Mozambicans I meet- he was talking about the importance of only having one girlfriend or wife, about not having more kids than you can take care of, about the importance of educating girls so they’ll be able to make smart life decisions rather than rely on a man. It was amazing! I wish these conversations happened more often because when they do I’m on cloud nine and feel like I could never leave here.

No comments:

Post a Comment