Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Chimoio

This morning I only had to wait 2.5 hours for a ride out of town, not bad. PLUS I got a seat in front, rather than in the back of the open bed truck. My bum was very happy about that, after the 1.5hours of extremely bumpy road we traveled. No waiting at the next spot, instead a front seat on a bus, shared with a chicken. I may have been peed on, but hey, it was a comfortable seat.



The drive into Chimoio was beautiful- hilly and lush and green, with beautiful homes with grassy lawns and stunning flowery shrubs. I feel like I haven’t seen grass in 2.5 years- maybe they clear it because they’re afraid of snakes, maybe too many mosquitoes. Maybe they just like sweeping dirt, I don’t know. But up here, I saw grassy lawns and I liked it. It reminded me of a very bucolic drive I took with my parents through South Africa last year. It’s been fun watching the scenery change as I move north- Mozambique is so diverse (and I’m only in central!).



As we went through a little town, we came up behind a funeral procession. There were probably about 150 people walking behind the open back truck. We drove behind them until they turned off the main road. This was the third funeral procession I saw today.



I arrived in the city and walked my way to the PC office here. The town is small but clean, open, and full of restaurants, banks, real stores, and new, official looking buildings. I’m having dinner with Valerie tonight, one of my best friends from Chokwe who now lives here (another extendee!!), who has promised me cheese and wine (WOOHOO!) and tomorrow is a “business lunch” over Indian food with Shane (Moz 16er). I think I’m going to like Chimoio.


No comments:

Post a Comment