Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Let Talk about Sex

Tonight I was able to participate in Mike's REDES meeting. There were just over 20 girls, all motivated to talk and learn about HIV transmission risks (the session planned for the night). It was probably a good thing I was there, because even though Mike has a female counterpart that helps lead the sessions, this sessions led into oh so many questions about sex.  Talking about sex is SO taboo here- there's no sex ed in schools, parents don't talk about it with their kids, so even the basics get lost.  I believe Mozambique is still of the mentality "If we don't talk about it, it won't happen." Yeah, that's why the HIV rate is as high as 26% in some districts here... Anyways, back to the meeting.  I think having me in the room really let the girls feel comfortable to ask just about anything- not only am I a woman and someone who is informed about sex and HIV transmission, but I’m also a stranger that they could ask embarrassing questions and never have to see again.  So they let loose.  I was proud of them- it’s not easy.  I was even more proud that once boys showed up outside the door snickering at words I’d written on the board (penis, vagina, semen, anal sex- you know, the basics), the girls ignored them and kept on asking questions.  If only a few girls learned a few new things, I’d consider that it a successful day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment