Monday, May 14, 2012

Malawi!

My first stop in Tete was Zobwe, a relatively small town on the border with Malawi. Like the rest of the province, I fell in love with the site. I walked with Dan, one of the two PCVs in Zobwe, through the town, winding on narrow paths, through people’s yards, and passing hundreds of giant yellow flowers. This spot was not only beautiful but really felt like a community and a Peace Corps site. Of course, as we go out for a dinner of PB and nutella sandwiches, beer, goldfish, and skittles (they just got a care package), the power went out. Now that’s Peace Corps.
In the morning as Lisa had class, Dan showed me around a bit. We hiked about 15min north of their house, passed through several corn fields, houses, and rivers, and landed in Malawi! The border is marked by two white flags planted at the top of two mountains, but there is literally no other marker. You can just wander over.
We did cross the actual border a bit later in the morning, (got my passport stamped and everything!) to meet up with a PC response volunteer and another American (well, Canadian, but close) for lunch. Lisa and I wandered around and did a little thrift shopping while the boys waited for food. Now I have clothes from Malawi!
I just loved Zobwe. The school is small, the town feels like a community, and when you need to get out, there is a city in Malawi only about 2 hours away (with a movie theater!!). Definitely could come back here.

No comments:

Post a Comment