Saturday, December 8, 2012

Goodbye Mozambique

I'm officially an RPCV! Technically Returned Peace Corps Volunteer but I feel the R is better as Recovering. The COS (Close Of Service) process is a bit intense- medical check up, dentist visits, language testing, "interview" with the country director, etc.  All of it went by pretty smoothly- plus I was able to spend time with so many awesome volunteers that were coming through town.
Cristina, my empregada from Hokwe and best friend from my old site, happens to be living in Maputo right now with her father and sister, so this afternoon she came to the PC office to visit and say goodbye.  It was SO wonderful to see her! And heart breaking.  I would love to come back to visit Mozambique in the future but I honestly don't know when that could happen. And even if it does, tracking down certain people without email or telephones could prove to be quite difficult.  I think she realized this, hence a very sad parting.  I will miss her, Rafito and Eloite (her beautiful babies), and all of our great times very much.
Tonight is my bus ride to JoBurg with Val and Scoot.  So excited for this next chapter, and very thankful I have a few great friends by my side for the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment