Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Street Food


Today we went down south of the city to see the gateway and just a new area of town.  This town is enormous- I understand not as much land area as many other cities, but maybe too many years in Moz has skewed my view.  The south was beautiful- the architecture is so different, majestic, and powerful.  We wandered around the streets for a few hours, looking at things, eating street food, and stopping in the new Starbucks (we had to- it’s new).  
My first street food experience was an interesting one. First the vendor handed me a tiny (empty) bowl.  He then took a crispy puff thing, poked a hole in the top, and put spices in it.  Then he added a corn-looking mixture, then water, then handed it to me.  I should’ve eaten the whole thing at once but I was confused, so when I bit into it, the liquid came running out, down my face, into the bowl, and onto the street.  The vendor just laughed and made another.  I kept eating and he kept making.  Ben told me I was suppose to get 6 but I swear I ate at least 10.  I said thank you and I was full and he kept making the little crispy puffs. This man was so amused by my lack of understanding as to what was happening he just kept feeding me.  Finally I threw my bowl away and told him I couldn’t eat anymore.  Then he made me a different kind of crispy puff thing, which was a bit sweeter.  Again I told him I couldn’t eat anymore, and thankfully this time he listened.  Between his constant smile and laugher throughout the ordeal, I really think I made this man’s day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment