Saturday, December 1, 2012

Goodbyes



Teachers bar with exiting Moz 15ers

Each week there is a new group of between 8 and 14 volunteers that come down to COS- Close Of Service.  Last year I was able to come into Maputo every week to say goodbye to my friends, the PCVs that I arrived with 3 years ago.  This year I’ve also been able to come into the city to spend time with people.  It’s extremely bittersweet.  Everyone is sad to leave Mozambique, our acquired family of volunteers, and the familiarity of the strange and unknown, but everyone is also so excited to get out into the world and start new lives. 




I’m in the last round of COSers, which too is good and bad.  Good because I get to say goodbye to everyone as they come through, but bad because I watch my friends leaving, week by week, like slowly taking off a band-aid, small rip by small rip.   

Maputo with our 19ers


No comments:

Post a Comment