Thursday, January 10, 2013

First train experience


It started with a 28 hour train ride...
One of Ben's co-workers offered up his place in southern India for me to stay for a few days, escape the big city and get some alone time.  It was quite a trip....   The first 3 hours on the train I played musical beds, trying to find the most comfortable place to set up camp, but new people kept getting on and kicking me out of my spot. I finally scored the top bunk, best spot to be. Our little compartment had 6 beds, 3 stacked on top of each other, where the middle one folds down to make a bench of seats.  Well, once I was up on my top bunk (2pm) I came down once around 7pm for a pee break, then didn't come back down again until 10am the next morning.  I was fine with it, but I think I made my fellow passengers concerned.  When I finally came down, they were full of all sorts of questions- Where was I from? Where was I going? Was I travelling alone?  Was I REALLY travelling alone? Where was all my food? Where was my family?  I felt bombarded but in a good way.  It was 3 couples, all in their 40s or 50s, and after awhile they started giving me food and travel advice and encouragement.  They were all so nice and talkative, sarcastic and entertaining.  Yet as much fun as it was, when that 28th hour rolled around I was thankful to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment