Saturday, January 12, 2013

Kerala

After my train ride, I landed in Alleppy, Kelara state.  I was met at the station by Jolly, the neighbor of the place I was to stay at.  She didn't speak much English, but we were able to communicate a little.  The drive out to her place in a tuk tuk took about an hour. It was BEAUTIFUL!!! Everything was so green, the canals next to the road were full of ducks and flowers, you could look across an area of 3 football fields of green, lush land (sometimes rice fields, sometimes just marsh) and see houses tucked into the banana trees and coconut trees.  The shops just off the main road were built on stilts, and they had little planks (1 or 2 2X4s) connecting the road to the store.  The road to the house was very narrow (just big enough for one car to fit) and extremely curvy so each turn we almost hit either a person, a cow, another car, or just went off the road into the canal.  (The drivers here are Crazy! But I was safe).  The houses were enormous with big gardens and beautiful architecture.
The house was also spectacular, situated right on the water.  I spent 4 days there, reading, writing, listening to the birds and the random music coming from beyond the trees.  Jolly was great- again, she didn't speak much English but she cooked 3 times a day for me, all traditional Keralan food.  I swear I ate enough to feed an army in those four days.  As i sat outside reading, she would bring me a coconut so I could drink the water, then the inside of the coconut, then some chai tea, then fried bananas, then banana chips she made, then more chai.... It was endless. And delicious.
On my second day, a little girl came over to the house with Jolly. She said "Hello. What is your name?" So I answered but she ran off.  The third day she came over with her brother and we sat talking.  She was 7 and him 11. They played with my ipod and speakers, talked a little about school, and I told them a little about myself.  On my last day, they came over, listened to music, taught me how to write my name and several other words in their language, and played a 45minute game of tag. It was exhausting.  But so much fun.  I was extremely impressed with this little girl. Only 7 years old, could read and write in at least 2 languages, seemed very self assured and confident, and was extremely smart.
Although at times being at the house was like being in the center of a fish bowl (people would literally come up to the gate and just watch me, or even come in the gate to touch me), it was a very relaxing and enjoyable few days.  I needed a break from the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment