Sunday, January 20, 2013

Overnight bus to Hampi

I left the hustle and bustle of Goa and took an overnight bus to Hampi.  I got to the bus station, was told to get on a transit bus that would take me to my actual bus.  On said transit but I met a girl from Spain and two guys from Israel.  We chatted and talked about where we've been traveling and where we plan to go.  Once on our actual bus, I realized I was placed in a bed with a stranger... Somehow myself and the other three commandeered a space at the back of the bus with 4 beds.  We played cards, ate, listened to music, and finally when we turned out the light to go to sleep, the bus stopped and let on more people.  I had to move back to my old bed.  I jumped up and started talking to my new bunk-mate.  He was Dutch, traveling for 2 months in India, headed to Hampi as well for who knows how long.  It's interesting how quick you become friends with someone when you're traveling along and you're forced to share a bed.
So, we arrived this morning in Hampi just after 8am.  I said goodbye to my new 4 friends and headed out on my own.  I wanted to avoid the overwhelming rush of tuk tuks and drivers that were fighting over getting customers.  So I walked about of the "bus station" that was really nothing more than a dead end road.  But so beautiful!! All around me were giant boulders and ruins.  I walked for a bit then sat down with a bunch of locals to get breakfast.  I think they were surprised to see a local sitting down and asking for Indian breakfast food like she knew what she was doing.  I like to surprise people :)   Well, from there I kept walking, sat down and had chai next to a river and gorgeous view, got some pants made, bought a purse, found a place to stay on the roof of a building, and now I'm here, catching up on blogs and emails.
Hampi is a great place, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of it.  It's been a long morning already but there's just so much to do!!
For the record, I will try to take pictures and post them as soon as I can. 

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy your posts so much, Anna! Somehow as I read them, I am transported there as if I glimpse for a moment out through your eyes and see this beauty for myself. May God bless your journey and see you safely through. I love you!!! T

    ReplyDelete