Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Wandering

One thing I LOVE about being here is it's such a small place, I keep running into people I've met over the last few days.  Last night I ran into my Irish and Scottish friends who told me to check out the other side of the river, so today I took a boat across the river that separates Hampi and just started walking. I ran into another German guy I met who told me to go to the "Monkey Temple", about 2km down the road (I was walking the wrong way).  It was spectacular.  You start at the base of a small mountain and hike up these white steps. The entire path is inhabited by monkey who are so used to people they literally come up and touch you, just to say hi.  Although I was tired and hot at mid-day, I watched 60year olds climbing in front of me and they gave me strength.  As I understand, this temple is something of a pilgrimage destination, so many people were coming to worship.  So, on my way down I was accosted by a few monkeys, trying to take my scarf.  I held on tight so I won.  At the bottom I ran into two people from Finland and a woman from Argentina who I'd met on the bike tour, and chatted for awhile about when else to do on that side.  Started walking again and ran into the German again, who told me about a lake about 4km away, so I took off for that (I really got my walking in today.)  When I finally came to the lake, it was so hot and I was so tired, and then I saw people standing on the side of a small cliff.  I practically took off running trying to find the path to get to them.  When I finally did, I dropped my bag, quickly asked where was a best place to jump, and ran off the cliff. Fully clothed.  I think I surprised a few of them, but it felt so good!! It wasn't too high, about 30feet, and so refreshing.  After coming out of the water I chatted up a few of the people around, some French, Germans, Brits, Americans, Israelis, and more.  I shared a rickshaw back to town with a few of them and crossed back over the river (strangely enough, with the 4 people I'd come over with in the morning).
I'm loving this town. And I look forward to meeting more people in the next 24 hours I'm still here.

No comments:

Post a Comment