Sunday, January 13, 2013

Train number 2

The train from Kerala to Goa wasn't as long, but at least as exciting.  I sat down with a Keralan family and right away they started talking to me, fed me, and tried to help me find places to stay in Goa.  There was a mother, father, two sons and a daughter. The daughter spoke the most English so we chatted for awhile, then I let her borrow my book, Shantaram, and listened to her read to herself outloud for over an hour. I was so impressed- she was reading so well and I think really comprehending the story (even thought it's not too complicated).  She reminded me a lot of the girl in Alleppy- both smart, motivated, beautiful, confident girls.  I know being a woman in this country can't be easy, so to see 2 young spark plugs within two days made me extremely happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment