Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Express to Delhi

I've been on a few trains and several buses during my time here, and they have typically been enjoyable, even though sometimes painfully long (28hours down to Kerala...).  However, I lucked out with an overnight express from Mumbai to Delhi! Only 14 hours, they fed me, gave me blankets and sheets for my bed, and we even arrived on time.  As usual, once on the train I made friends with fellow passengers.  This time around they were a group of Mozambicans vacationing in India!! When I first got onto the train I heard them speaking in Portuguese and I tried not to eavesdrop, but it wasn't until about 3 hours in that someone noticed I was wearing a Mozambique jersey (Go MAMBAS!) and mentioned Moz.  The rest of the trip we spent talking about Moz and the recent floods, what I was doing there during my three years, etc.  And I got to speak in Portuguese again!!  In true Mozambican fashion, they gave me as much food as they possibly could, so I would be set for the next week without having to buy a thing.  Leaving Bombay was hard, once again breaking off onto my own with no plans to see people I know for weeks and no set itinerary, but meeting this family really helped me through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment